Saturday, June 27, 2009

Stardust Cube

I have really gotten into altering items, and one of my favorite items to alter is the My Creations Cube from Close To My Heart. The cube is made of white chipboard and comes flat, like this:


It's easy to put together. All the fold lines are pre-scored, and the corner holes are pre-punched. Just start folding to make the box:

And keep folding. It kind of "goes" the way it is supposed to.
You end up with a cube like this:

To get it to stay together, just punch out the holes and tie together with Waxy Flax, twine, or ribbon. If you don't want the holes to show, you could wrap the cube with scrapbooking paper. I like using Waxy Flax because it is a little stiffer which makes it easier to go through the holes. I have it threaded through all six holes here, but you could also tie each pair separately.

Now, the fun part -- the altering! This finished cube is one I made for a baby gift for my cousin's baby (and need to send before Sam goes to college!). I used the Stardust Level 2 paper packet and the Stardust Stickease.

A Dimensional Elements letter is covered with paper and sets off his name. The star stickease is pop-dotted. Here's a trick for using stickers like a die cut: sprinkle a little baby powder on the back of the sticker and rub it in. Brush off any excess powder and attach the sticker with pop-dots. Easy!

I set eyelets in each pre-punched hole using my Crop-A-Dile and tied each pair with White Daisy Sassy Strands. I chose to leave the front of the top unattached so the box can open for storage.

There are places for pictures on three of the sides:

Because I left the top open, I decided to line the inside with paper.

The finished cube is 5 inches square -- a perfect size for the top of a desk or for storing little goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!