Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas treats


It's that time of year -- time to decide what to give the co-workers. Coming up with something appropriate and within the budget can sometimes be a challenge. I was so excited to see these cute little treat cans because they were just the ticket! They're not difficult to make, and they're fun, too -- how do those treats get in the can with the pop top intact?

Start with a can with a pop-top lid. These can be a little challenging to find. I found some with fruit at WalMart.



Open the bottom of the can using a can opener that removes the entire lid with a safety edge. See how the can's upside down in the picture? Be sure to save the bottom you remove; you'll put it back on later!



Empty the contents of the can (or cans, if you're making several of these little gems) into another container then carefully wash the can and the bottom piece. Remove the label.


Once the can is dry, the fun begins! Make sure the can is right-side-up now. Cover with paper and decorate as desired. I used the Aspen paper packet since my treat cans are holiday themed.


I used my Cricut to cut circles for the top and the bottom of each can and attach. Fill the can with the desired treats -- I used Hershey's kisses and Hershey's white chocolate peppermint kisses -- and carefully glue the bottom back on. Liquid Glass works great for this! I got excited about filling the cans and forgot to take pictures of the process, so you'll have to rely on your imagination. To be honest, I also got a little distracted by the peppermint kisses -- oh, WOW! they are great!


The finished product is at the top of the post.


I wanted to include my homemade hot chocolate mix in the gifts, too, so I put 1 cup in a holiday container. I tied a ribbon around the container with a chocolate-covered peppermint stick (found them at Aldi) and a tag. I stamped the tag with a retired stamp set (Coffee Shop) and wrote directions for making the hot chocolate on the back. Simple and easy!



Hot Chocolate Mix
1 lb. box Nestle Quik
8 qt. dry milk
1 box powdered sugar
1 lb. jar powdered coffee creamer
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. I like to put the ingredients in my big Tupperware bowl, put on the lid, and SHAKE!

To make the hot chocolate, stir 1/3 c. of the hot chocolate mix into a mugful of hot water. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!