Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Little Gobbler


I know everyone is in turkey recovery mode and thinking ahead to Christmas. But I wanted to share these cute little placecards I made for our Thanksgiving table! The credit for the idea goes to another CTMH consultant, Shelly Davis. These were super easy to make: I made 12 in no time at all!

I started with clear ornaments I picked up from Michael's. They were about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. After removing the hanger, I stuffed the turkey (tee-hee -- couldn't resist!) with 14 or 15 pieces of Chocolate cardstock cut into 1/2" x 6" strips and rolled around a pen. The tail feathers are 3" ovals cut on my Cricut from Goldrush, Honey, and Cranberry cardstock. I edged all cardstock pieces with Chocolate ink to give it some depth. The beak is cut free-hand from Honey cardstock, and the wattle is Cranberry. To get the wattle shape, I placed one of CTMH's small craft jars on a piece of scrap cardstock and traced half the circle. Then I overlapped the craft jar over the half-circle until I had the size I wanted.

The tag for each person is stamped with their first initial -- again in Chocolate! (I kind of have a food theme going with the cardstock, don't I?!) I tied the tag with - you guessed it - a piece of ribbon from the Chocolate Designer Ribbon Rounds. The base is a 6" strip of Goldrush cardstock on which I used a MS punch. Last but not least -- the eyes are drawn simply using a black Sharpie.

The biggest challenge was getting the pieces to stick to the glass ornament! I tried glue dots -- no luck. I ended up using Liquid Glass, which held well but I had to hold it in place for a few minutes. Success!
The turkeys were definitely a hit and a conversation piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!