Friday, February 5, 2010

Valentine's Day Countdown - Day 6

Today, we're going to make a waterfall card. Those of you who know me also know that I'm very easily amused, so I LOVE interactive cards! This is a simple card to make and packs some "wow" factor. (Well, at least to me it does!) It does involve several steps, so I included lots of pictures.

Start with a card base for a standard-sized card (4 1/4" x 5 1/2"). I usually cover the front of the card with a piece of patterned paper. Cut cardstock in the following sizes:

Neutral cardstock:
  • 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" (cut 4)
Colored cardstock:
  • 2" x 2" (cut 4)
  • 9" x 2"
  • 3/4" x 4"
Score the 9" x 2" piece at 2", 2 3/4", 3 1/2", and 4 1/4". Fold along the scored lines. I forgot to score at 2" before I took the picture, so be sure you score in all four places.
Attach the horizontal strip (3/4" x 4") to the front of the card toward the bottom. Attach it securely with eyelets or brads, but be sure you don't put any adhesive in the middle.

Slide the longest section of the scored piece behind the horizontal strip. I know it's tempting, but don't use adhesive on this long piece -- it will be the part that slides.

Okay, now you can get out the adhesive -- put some on the back of the first 2" x 2" scored section, and attach it to the front of the horizontal strip. Remember -- no adhesive on the long part!

See? Like this:


Now decorate the neutral-colored squares (if you haven't already) and attach them to the colored cardstock squares. Attach the first square to the bottom scored piece, then keep going. My tip: put the adhesive on the scored piece, not the squares. The squares will overlap.

Keep going until all four squares are attached:

Now comes the fun part! Gently pull on the long part of the scored strip and watch the waterfall! (As I said . . . easily amused!) To make it easier to pull, you can attach some fibers or ribbon.


Ta-da!! The finished product:

3 comments:

  1. Nice waterfall card. Really like the wings peeking out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing and your card is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!