Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Valentine's Day Countdown - Day Two - 5 x 7 Card with Sophia

This card serves a dual purpose: my entry for the Valentine's Day Countdown Blog Hop, and my entry for the Heart 2 Heart sketch challenge! I've also included a tutorial on how to make the flowers.

The card uses one of my new favorite paper packets, Sophia. I love the bright, cheerful colors! The butterfly was a happy accident. I was making the flowers and laid two of the striped pieces across from each other. I looked down and realized it looked like a butterfly. Inspiration comes in all kinds of places!


Items used:
Paper: Sophia Level 2 Paper Packet; White Daisy cs; Hollyhock cs
Ink: Hollyhock
Stamps: In the Month of February
Embellishments: Brads - Pink; Brads - Metal; Black Waxy Flax
Other: 1 1/4" punch; 2" scalloped punch

To make the flower, start by punching four scalloped circles using the 2" scalloped punch by CTMH.



Fold the circle in half, lining up the scallops.



Fold the circle in half again, also lining up the scallops.



Unfold the circle.



This part takes a little practice. You will bring two of the folded edges together, bowing the middle in. I have found it works best if I try to bring the points together.



Do the same thing with the other side.




This is what your "petal" will look like:



Punch a circle out of cardstock. I used the 1 1/4" circle punch by CTMH. Lightly mark the circle into quarters. It makes it easier to put the petals on evenly. Cover the circle with adhesive.



Here's what it looks like with one petal on the flower:



The finished product! It's really easy once you get the hang of it. You can also do this with a regular circle (with no scallops) for an entirely different look.


I hope you enjoyed learning how to make these cute flowers! Now check out what the other consultants have been up to on the blog hop:

20 comments:

  1. Lori - That butterfly is awesome!

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your butterfly! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I do like those colors as well and the flowers & butterfly turned out so cute, thanks for sharing the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohh! Thanks for leaving the flower tutorial. I was thinking when I was looking at your great card, but how do you make the flowers? So cute! I'll definitely be CASE'ing these sometime...I'll point people back to your tutorial ; )

    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute is your butterfly!! Wow, now that paper bring sback memories. lol Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super cute, love the bright colors and those flowers are pretty fabulous. Thanks so much for the tutorial and for joining us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun butterfly and I love that u posted the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so lifting the butterfly, that is too cute. Love the flowers and the card is wonderful. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lori! Your card is so stinkin' cute! That butterfly is adorable!! I may need to make one of my own. *Ü* Thanks for sharing your card with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No way! That is just the cutest little butterfly. Thanks for sharing you folding technique with us, too. Glad you could join us at H2H this week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, just love the pink and green! following you via google friend- from the blog hop! kelli

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have fallen in love with your butterfly and want to marry him. The cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOOH, how creative is that butterfly!! Awesome card! TFS at Heart 2 Heart this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering how to do the flowers. They look like the ones in the Idea Book. I love the butterfly and your card is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! I'm so CASE-ing your butterfly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the bright colors and of course that butterfly is adorable!
    Thanks for playing with us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh.. i didn't recognize the sophia paper... very nice!! love the butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - great job. Love the butterfly. Thanks for showing how it is done too. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lori!
    This is a super cute card and a creative take on the butterfly wings. Thank for joining us at H2H!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on making the H2H Top Ten with this beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!